Warrensburg – Fire-suppression equipment stopped a fire Sunday from spreading in the Police Department computer room, Police Chief Rich Lockhart told the City Council on Monday.

The fire started and ended in a small part of the room, he said.

“It’s in one little box. All the other boxes that are in there are in great shape,” Lockhart said.

Computer batteries had nothing to do with the fire, he said.

“These are lead-acid batteries, these are not lithium-ion batteries that catch on fire,” Lockhart said. “It was the power supply that overheated and caught fire.”

The working theory is an electrical component sent too much current to the power supply, causing the box to catch fire, Lockhart said.

“We’re trying to identify that and get it fixed,” he said.

Fire Chief Jim Kushner, after the meeting, explained how the fire-suppression system worked.

“It’s called a clean-agent, fire-suppression system and it’s used in electronic facilities, like computer rooms, server rooms,” Kushner said. “It is a chemical that displaces the oxygen and snuffs out the fire, usually in a very rapid way. … It reduces the amount of oxygen in the air so the fire won’t burn.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.